Friday, January 13, 2012

{Friday Favorites}

Today on Friday Favorites, I wanted to highlight one of my favorite musical memories. My high school graduation. When I say that, you are probably thinking of cap and gowns, pictures with teachers, teary and hopeful goodbyes with friends? My career with high school didn't EXACTLY end that way......



You see. I skipped my high school graduation. Totally just didn't go. I was set to graduate on June 12, 2004 and that happened to be the same exact date that my favorite bands were touring together in our area. I didn't realize until the tour dates were announced that the time I was supposed to be walking across the stage to grab my diploma was the exact time that No Doubt and Blink 182 would be taking the stage at the Verizon Center in Washington D.C. Did I waver in my decision? Uh. NO. What I was nervous about was asking my parents permission. Would they be disappointed that they wouldn't see my "hard" work pay off and watch me graduate? Upset? Angry? Who knew? I remember sitting them down in the living room to tell them my dilemma. This also was one of those pivotal moments when I realized my parents were my biggest fans and supported me no matter what. Looking back, it honestly brings me goosebumps because you don't really get the weight of this truth until you are older. All I remember from this moment is my dad shaking his head, laughing and saying "Why am I not surprised!" and my Mom bouncing in her seat wanting to know if she could come. I mean c'mon! My parents just rock :)

My next step was me asking my bestest buddy ever, Katie aka EDDIE, to come with me. She loves some Blink-182 and is a music lover just like me, so it was obvious who I wanted with me. We have been friends for ever, went to Europe together, went through Girl Scouts together and she was even next to me on my wedding day. So me and her? We go way back. I don't remember the moment I asked her but I'm pretty sure she just laughed and said "Are you SERIOUS!?" haha. She also just simply rocks :)

Oh and we also played field hockey together...What DIDN'T do together is a better question haha! 

My Junior year, her Senior year. 

<3

So it was set. AND I WAS PUMPED. So excited that I would finally see my favorite band in person. I was literally counting down the days. I didn't think about the meantime-in-between-time because I had literally had to explain my decision to all of my family, friends and teachers as to why I would do such a thing. It was kind of exhausting explaining over and over that "No, I will not regret this one day" and "Yes I realize I will just have to walk in this summer to pick up my diploma and no, that is not sad to me". I knew in my heart I wouldn't regret it.

The last week of school was a blur and before I knew it, it was the Friday before graduation. I had picked up my cap and gown and we were all required to do a walk-through and blah blah blah. (I did end up getting those pictures with friends in my cap and gown by the way...it just wasn't at graduation haha!)

This is the ONLY picture of me at school before graduation haha! Me and the rest of Mr. Nusbaum's office aides. (Clockwise from top left: Aimee, Julia, Ashley, Lindsay, Rachel, me and Amy)

I decorated my cap and gown, my little VW and we hit the road.....

Oh yeah. I wore the cap and gown the WHOLE time haha! 

"No Doubt or BUST!" 



Ok so don't kill me Eddie but we didn't take many pictures. We both are hot messes lol. 

BWAHAHAHA! Oh I wish I remember what we were laughing at. Who knows. 

Best seats ever, right?!?! No for real though this concert was legit CRAZY. This was their final tour supposedly so tickets flew! We were lucky we were able to even get some. 

It rained the whole day. ha! Did that dampen our spirits?! NO! Just our hair. Did it ruin our time!? NO! It was the best concert ever. Did I end up regretting it?! No way. To this day, I would still drop anything for a No Doubt concert. You better believe it ;) 

So that is one of my most favorite musical memories ever. Trust me, I have TONS but this one topped em' all. 

Have a great weekend!

Love and Rock'n Roll,
Pearl
xoxo




No comments:

Post a Comment