Sunday, June 26, 2011

Scratch DJ's vs. Digital DJ's

I was 18 years old and it was around 2:00 am in a dark radio station studio where I first learned how to "scratch" a record. The DJ that taught me was an underground DJ and probably the coolest guy ever. Since then I have done it a handful of times, whenever opportunity presented itself. I will be honest..those few times I had done it...i felt straight up like a bad ass. Just like this guy...



Well...not just like that guy. I have a lot of catch up to do to be that awesome.With myself being a Digital DJ, I mix everything right on my laptop. Is this as cool? Depends on who you ask. Does it do the same effect? Depends on who you are talking to. This is what I personally use....




Megaseg is a DJ software specifically for Mac. I have used Digilink (good times, AC, good times) Mobile DJ Pro, Virtual DJ and PCDJ. I switched over to my MacBook Pro a year ago and I am still learning the new software. Every time I turn around there is a fun new button! This works for me and to be honest, I am more confident with the digital mixing. I can only say that because that is what I was trained on, what I know the most. Another pro to being a Digital DJ is the style is more appropriate for events such as weddings and parties. You can still get fancy with the mixing and help the music flow as smooth as possible. Scratch DJ's are amazing for clubs and night spots. They can take a couple songs and smoosh them together and the dancefloor just eats it up. I have noticed that for weddings and parties that the mindset of the crowd is more to sing along and dance with the music they already know. People like to hear what they heard on the radio or on the download they have on their Ipod. Does that make sense? That is the easiest way I can set us apart without making one out to be better than the other because that is not what I want to come across.

Im just saying, a DJ is a DJ. We all are there for the same reason and we all can bring something to the table that others cannot. I honestly wish I was a DJ back in the 50's and 60's and spin vinyl over at the local high school for their weekly sock hop. How fun would THAT be?

xoxo 
Pearl

No comments:

Post a Comment