Friday, June 24, 2011

The down and dirty on my love/hate relationship with my equipment.

My equipment…Where to begin? 
What is fun is that I can actually say “Remember when we used to lug around those heavy cd cases and needed a HUGE truck/van to haul the equipment in and minimum two people to load/unload?”  It makes me appreciate the fact that I can haul my equipment in a 1999 Toyota Camry. (Temporary vehicle you understand…my new whip will be unveiled in a VERY short amount of time. Be excited.) Because my system is on a smaller scale does NOT compromise its quality. My basic setup complies of a 1500 American Audio amplifier, a sweet Radio Shack soundboard, two Phonic power speakers, an assortment of wireless mics and my two laptops (one PC and one Mac) with external hard drives. I have further options such as a 20’ truss system with as many lights as any small underground club would EVER need with, digital karaoke system with screens, a back-up system with extra soundboards, microphones, cables and my defective amp that I am probably subconsciously keeping for sentimental purposes because it gave me so much grief and I learned how to basically take apart an amp and put one back together. (Sigh. Good times.) Basically, I am admitting that I am a “digital DJ”.  This means is basically two things. 1) I can have access to all my music at my fingertips as well as download any song I don’t have. Easy squeezy. 2) MUCH less set up/break down time. Once I am set up (usually about 30 minutes or less) I can test everything and adjust what needs to be adjusted well before any guest comes in. It works out best for everyone. 


I honestly have a love/hate relationship with my equipment. My equipment is complied of a series of experiments of “This works, that doesn’t”. I’m seriously still learning even after all this time. I have always been the one to get my hands dirty and haul my equipment around, throwing up 75 pound speakers on tripods like they were nothing, breaking heels, sweating in dresses, hiding chords, analyzing a room to make sure what is coming out of my speakers sounds as amazing as possible and at the end of it being exhausted and completely on a “high” from another amazing event. I worked hard to get my equipment to where I am…somewhat confident. Wait. Somewhat confident? Yes. That is correct. I am saying, I can do better. I can constantly improve my sound, my skill and my image. Believe it or not, people come up to my booth all the time asking what I am “packing” equipment-wise. I know that there are better speakers out there, better equipment. But there is only one of me. All I can do is keep on keeping on and prove myself to my clients. At the end of the day, they are all that matters. Meanwhile, I will still keep lugging around my equipment and loving every second of it <3


No comments:

Post a Comment